Suzuki Unveils 2020 KATANA: Speed and Comfort
Suzuki’s legendary KATANA returns for the 2020 model year as a comfortable, sporty all-arounder with a hint of the edgy styling found on earlier models. Suzuki released preliminary details of the bike, but availability in the U.S. market will not be announced until next year, and labeling it a 2020 model means we will be waiting a bit before we can test one.
We can tell you that this will be a very fast motorcycle with a revised version of the long-stroke four-cylinder 998cc engine found in the GSX-S1000F we previously tested. Expect something north of 130 horsepower with gobs of low-end and mid-range torque. Much more street motor than most will ever need, or want.
Although detailed specifications are not yet available, this is much more than a prototype. Suzuki has released detailed images of the frame and engine components, for example. There is a dedicated web site, and here on MD you will find several high resolution images.
Here is a brief announcement from Suzuki on the new KATANA:
The Suzuki KATANA
This is not a retro-styling exercise but a modern performance motorcycle that is destined to be as revolutionary as the original KATANA. Of course, its name comes from the sleek and beautifully crafted Japanese sword known as a katana. Inspired by the same artisan spirit demonstrated by Japanese swordsmiths, Suzuki’s development team tested and tuned each component until they were satisfied the KATANA would deliver the optimal balance of power, comfort and control. At the heart of the KATANA’s performance is a new version of the championship winning long-stroke GSX-R1000 engine. Heading out on the road, riders will immediately appreciate the KATANA’s agility and rider-friendly nature. Maneuvering its compact, lightweight chassis around bends instills confidence and brings pure pleasure. The seat and optimized riding position are designed to enhance controllability and keep riders comfortable on longer outings so they will want to ride the KATANA all day long. With the 2020 KATANA, Suzuki repeats and rewrites history at the same time.
ADVANCED LOOK- 2020 KATANA
- The distinctive design of the legendary KATANA exists in a totally modern motorcycle.
- 999cc engine offers excellent low- to-mid range torque with good peak horsepower.
- A variety of advanced electronics include traction control, Easy Start and Low RPM Assist.
- Twin-spar aluminum frame, braced superbike-style swingarm, KYB-supplied suspension, dual front Brembo Monobloc four-piston brake calipers with 310mm floating rotors.
- Unique satellite rear fender extends from the swingarm creating a taut-looking tail design.
- New style, full LCD instrument panel is unique to the KATANA.
- Metallic Mystic Silver paint with KATANA lettering and logos that mirror the original 1981 model.
Estimated arrival at U. S. dealers: TBA 2019
Click here to learn more about the KATANA